You may be asking yourself…
- How do I become a member?
- How do I transfer my membership from another church?
In Philippians 1, Paul speaks of “partnership in the Gospel” and writes about what that entails for a Christian. Below you can read about the process, and read a FAQ. Here are a couple more details:
- Anyone desiring to become a partner will make a commitment regardless of previous church membership. If you are already a member elsewhere, we will talk with you about this during the process.
- Partners at South Harbor will be “members” of Harbor Churches as well as the Reformed Church in America.
- Partnership is in place of what many call “church membership”.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT …being a partner at South Harbor Church
The first step in the Partnership Process is to attend a Partnership Orientation. Stop by Connecting Point or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about the next Partnership Orientation.
Partners agree to the following four Partnership Statements:
- I believe in my heart the God raised Jesus from the dead as my Savior and I confess that Jesus is the Lord of my life.
- I agree to partner in transformation through a life-giving impact of the gospel in my own life and in the lives of others.
- I agree to partner in community through intentional relationships with others inside and outside the Church.
- I agree to partner in ministry through my time, talents, and treasures inside and outside the church.
All Partnership commitments are considered either a profession of faith or a reaffirmation of faith. This is why we ask you to share your faith story; so that we can hear about your faith and so that you make a conscious decision to affirm or reaffirm.
Partners of South Harbor are also partners of Harbor Churches.
Yes. South Harbor is actually a campus of Harbor Churches, which a church of the Reformed Church in America.
Yes. South Harbor pays a set fee each year to the denomination for each partner.
South Harbor Church is part of the Reformed Church in America. We believe that the Bible is the word of God and is our only rule of life and faith. We are also a Reformed Church, so we believe that the historic creeds and confessions are historical and faithful witnesses to a biblical faith. [Find more about these at www.rca.org/beliefs] We are also an evangelical and missional church, and find great affinity with the belief statements of the National Association of Evangelicals. [Find out more at www.nae.net]
It is not our practice to require you to adhere strictly to all the details of these beliefs, but in order to fully participate as a partner you should be comfortable with most, if not all, of these standards. If you have any major issues with any of these statements or the beliefs they express, you should discuss this with Pastor Tim or someone from the leadership team prior to becoming a partner.
At South Harbor, commitments will be lived out through three things:
- Active pursuit of gospel transformation in your own life through personal time with God and a consistent participation in gathered life of the church.
- Active participation in relationships with others in the church with whom you are “doing life.” This often takes the form of small groups, Breaking Bread, missional communities, etc.
- Active participation in serving within an area that fits your spiritual gifting. This often takes the form of giving your time, talents, and treasures to God’s Kingdom work.
Your partnership should be evident through your active participation in each of these areas. It is your responsibility to God to live a life worthy of the gospel, and in biblical community, we will spur one another on. This may include challenge, accountability, encouragement, and even spiritual discipline.
Each person is asked to complete the Partnership Agreements. Youth and children can also become partners. For more information on how your children can become involved email Jenny Erickson, email@example.com (children birth through grade 5) or Matt Kooman, firstname.lastname@example.org (students grade 6-12).